Saturday 12 May 2012

Day 45 Peaks and Spouts

After 4  full days at sea in very calm water without sight of land, we began to empathise with the Ancient Mariner. There are only so many Trivia Quizzes, a person can tolerate.
Then at 11 am this morning, the officer of the watch announced a whale sighting on the port side. I grabbed my camera and rushed downstairs to the outside promenade deck in the freezing cold with no coat. There they were....3 water spouts bursting from the ocean at a considerable distance. No photo was possible, but I have technically seen my first whale.
Within minutes, land appeared on the horizon, numerous snow capped peaks which have emerged in the view from our balcony....these are the Aleution Islands. Wow!


We are currently sailing due East just North of the islands ready to enter the Unimak Passage which links the Pacific Ocean to The Bering Sea. The temperature is barely above freezing, but I am now prepared. My camera is charged up, and my coat and hat and gloves are lying in wait by the balcony door in case Mr Whale pays a second call.  

No comments:

Post a Comment