Sunday 6 May 2012

Day 39 KIndles and Internet in the Far East


Before lose internet access in the Far East, I am adding this post as a reminder so I can answer questions when we return home.

Wifi internet access was available (at a cost) at all times onboard except when we were in Japanese waters. Free wifi  was available in cafes in most ports, also in Vladivostock station and the port in Pusan, South Korea. Facebook and Google were never blocked by the ship’s wifi system but were not always accessible on shore.

The ship’s wifi was quite slow, but we had 1000 free minutes for 35 days, which was just about sufficient for downloading my daily blog with photos, and paying a very quick visit to my email, facebook, and occasional other sites.

My 3G kindle could access the Amazon shop in every far East Port, except Vladivostock. I could also use it to view my email account in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Thailand. Kindle email could not be opened in China, South Korea, Russia, and Japan.

I think that covers it. I’m now off to visit the Japanese Immigration Point. Japanese Officers are onboard and they need every passenger’s fingerprints (again) before we disembark tomorrow.

I’ll be back with post 40 in about 2 days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment