Sunday 6 May 2012

Day 38 From Russia With Love

For the first time since we left the UK, Chris wore a jumper this morning. Cooler temperatures and light rain swirled around us as the ship docked adjacent to the Trans Siberian railway line in Vladivostock. We have reached the far eastern tip of Russia. It takes 7 days to reach Moscow from here by train.


I’m so  glad that I visited lovely St Petersburg on an earlier holiday. Vladivostock is different, very remote,  dismal even. It does not show its home country to advantage .Having booked a Princess tour we are taken by coach to a local museum. The first set of exhibits are  ‘ancient books’, mostly copies, housed in rooms full of Ikea type display cases. The labels are all in Russian. I normally enjoy museums, but this one tests my concentration to its furthest limit.

 Then the curator approaches me (why me?) with an exercise book and asks me to write my comments on the museum. I scribe a few polite words and sign myself ‘Claire from the UK’.
Our next stop is to an ‘unmissable’ viewing point at the top of a steep hill. We are led up flights of steps to see what is described as a spectacular view. It is far reaching and we can see the extent of the town and harbour. The Russians are building a new road  bridge in time for next year’s Asia/Pacific summit.

 Investment in smaller infrastructure is less obvious. The steps up to the view point are hazardous and in desperate need of maintenance.


Our final call is by far the most interesting. The submarine museum allows visitors to walk inside the length of a Soviet submarine. We see missile launchers, periscopes and narrow bunk beds. Submariner Baldry  gets to issue instructions through the speaking tube.

Tomorrow we will begin our journey towards the North of Japan. At some point we will once again lose internet connection, so this may be my last blog post for a couple of days.

See you in the Pacific!

No comments:

Post a Comment